The text written in green will be my comments on tonight’s TUSD board meeting agenda, and the significance of the items.
Call Meeting to Order
MOTION AND VOTE TO RECESS REGULAR MEETING TO EXECUTIVE SESSION
Recess Regular Meeting to Executive Session
MOTION AND VOTE TO ADJOURN EXECUTIVE MEETING AND RECONVENE REGULAR MEETING – appx 5:30 p.m.
At this point the public part of the board meeting begins, which will be around 5:30pm
Pledge of Allegiance
- Arizona Open Meeting Law Training Pursuant to Resolution Agreement with the Arizona Attorney General approved by the Governing Board at the September 13, 2016 Board Meeting The TUSD board has to go through the following training because they were found guilty of violated Open Meeting Laws.
- Update on Magnet Schools – Mansfeld Middle Magnet School
- Presentation This is the part of the meeting that many of us call a “Stephanie Boe Production” and is basically propaganda using students to talk only about the good things going on at magnet schools. Notice that schools such as Ochoa or Utterback have never presented and after losing their magnet status, probably never will.
Call to the Audience This is the funnest part of the meeting, when the public gets to speak.
- 2017-2018 Code of Conduct Review This item is super-important and has to do with STUDENT DISCIPLINE. TUSD hired an expert in this field, then basically ignored all his taxpayer-paid recommendations. The Department of Justice was not pleased, so here is a draft.
- FY 2016-2017 Budget Update CFO Karla Soto will give another useless presentation, and yes, you will see slides like page 21 being presented, which has hundreds of words in a size 1 font, displayed for only a moment; the purpose is for the public and the board to be confused and Soto rushes to get passed this.
- Substitute Compensation – Requested by Board Clerk Mark Stegeman After months and months of bringing this issue up, we now know that TUSD paid over $20 million to ESI to privatize the substitute teachers, which means they get paid less, get no benefits, and are no longer considered TUSD employees.
Governing Board Policies
- Governing Board Policy Code GCFC – Certification and Credentialing Requirements (revision) – Requested by Board Member Rachael Sedgwick It turns out the the highest paid superintendent in the state, HT Sanchez, who made a whopping $499,700 last year, is not even a certified school adminstrator in Arizona! This Policy would require him and all future superintendents to be certified. There are directors and administrators in TUSD that still remain without certification to this day.
- Restore Audit Committee Charter – Requested by Board Clerk Mark Stegeman The last audit committee members were being ignored and ended up writing a letter to the editor in the Arizona Daily Star. They were ousted soonafter in an act of retaliation by the notorious HT. More on this item can be found here.
- Reverse Membership Changes to Employee Benefits Trust Board Agreement – Requested by Board Clerk Mark Stegeman
Motion and Vote to Extend or Adjourn Special Meeting
Also published on Medium.