Three Sonorans fully endorses Dr. Gabriel Trujillo to be the next TUSD Superintendent. Below we include the reasons Betts Putnam-Hidalgo, an educational activist for years in TUSD, believes that Dr. Trujillo is the best choice from her most recent email to supporters.
I hope you are all involved in watching or attending the forums for the TUSD Superintendent: they can be seen here. There are also articles in the Daily Star on each candidate AND detailed summaries of the forums on Georgia Cole Brousseau’s (public) Facebook page.
In addition, please contact individual board members with your preferred candidate’s name in the subject line ASAP: they will be selecting the Superintendent at the Tuesday, Aug. 22 Board meeting. Addresses are here firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Trujillo is the best choice for TUSD
After attending all forums, Dr. Trujillo, the current interim superintendent stands out as the best candidate.
He has already done the “listening tour” that the other three candidates spoke about needing to do and has designed a to-do list from what he heard.
(Article continued below)
- Focus the Board on areas that they agree on (such as putting more money into the classrooms),
- Counselors and learning support personnel in every school so that students can get help DURING the school day,
- Train entire school staff on the discipline system DURING the school year DURING school hours,
- Implement the Unitary Status Plan by meeting with plaintiffs more than once a year,
- Making sure that educators take the lead in negotiations instead of lawyers,
- Support the magnet schools,
- Put fine arts and sports into every school,
- Begin the budget process early so that there is time for lots of input,
- Evaluation and modification if needed,
- Stop top-down management
All of these are ideas that align with the policies that I tried to put forward in multiple campaigns. So far Dr. Trujillo appears to have treated all board members the same – which the more untrusting Board members definitely do not like!
He strongly supports professionally certified teachers, unlike the other two local candidates who, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, support placing uncertified adults into the classroom to teach our students.
He supports dual language program and culturally relevant classes as we wait for a court decision on MAS.
With a few years at TUSD Dr.Trujillo is not as much an “insider” as the two other local candidates (13 and 24 years in the district)…. yet is not as much of an outsider as the candidate from Kentucky. In his time, he has managed to avoid the toxic politics of TUSD – a big point in his favor.
Finally, he is the only candidate who can really hit the ground running. For a host of reasons, I honestly believe that he is the best candidate for the job. Whoever YOU think is best, I encourage you to get involved and send input into the Board ASAP!
Also published on Medium.