CHACANA: Tenamaztle of the Cosmos
TENAMAZTLE OF THE COSMOS
Emergence – Presence - Return
The three steps represent levels of attainment of consciousness in the three 'worlds' or tiers:
* Hanan Pacha: the upper world of the stars, celestial beings and gods (also represented by the condor)
* Kay Pacha: the middle world of Mother Earth and human life (also represented by the puma)
* Uqhu Pacha: the lower world of the underworld and death (also represented by the snake)
The central hole represents the Incan capital of Cusco, the portal from one tier to the next, and the Eye of God.
The entire symbol additionally represents the cyclical year, with each of the twelve corners corresponding to a month.
The four 'cross' arms represent:
* the four directions of the compass,
* the four 'classical elements' of earth, air, water and fire,
* the four main stars of the Southern Cross, an important constellation for the Inca, who believed that was the centre of the Universe.
|Star Turtle's Island|
Originally posted from In Xinachtli, In Milpa which can be read here.